Tuesday, May 22, 2012

SERIOUSLY...I DON'T REALLY CARE

The number 56 has significant meaning in my life. I was born in 1956, it’s the age that I will turn in December this year and it’s also the number of consecutive games that Joltin’ Joe DiMaggio had a hit for the New York Yankees, my favourite sports team, in 1941, which happens to be one of the longest standing records in sports. Oh yes, by the way, my 56th birthday falls on the 12th day of the 12th month of this year, 12-12-12, which be the last time anyone else not born on that particular day, will experience that kind of event until 2101.


In honour of that number, and due to a complete lack of creativity this week, I will reprise the 56th Random Thoughts article that I wrote three years ago, which also happens to be dead on, once again, for what seems like a perpetual state of renovation around our house.



So it began. The paint samples were, once again, laid out on the kitchen table in an attempt to determine which colour we would be using to repaint the outside of the house, the hallway and the kitchen cupboards.

Didn’t we just do this? I was sure we had because we are perpetually painting some area of this old house. Doesn’t my answer from the last time still have merit? I believe my response the last time was, “Whatever you want. I don’t really care.”

Apparently, this isn’t the correct response.

“Now, what do you think? I like “Goat Cheese” for the cupboards, “Duck Egg” for the hallway and “Blooming Flax” for the outside of the house. Or should we go with, “Salt Cellar” for the cupboards, “Soda Bread” for the hallway or “Steamed Milk” on the outside?”

“Huh? Are we still talking about paint!? Whatever happened to orange, blue, green, red and yellow? To me, this sounds like some kind of weird quiche recipe or something.”

I think I’ll stick to “Whatever you want. I don’t really care.”

Still it continues, “If we go with the “Steamed Milk”, on the outside, should we do the trim in “Ripe Oats” or stick with the white?”

“Is white even a colour? What do you mean about the comedy routine? I was just asking?”

“How about having this three-and-a-half hour conversation with one of your sisters, because I think I’m missing the hockey game and they probably care.”

Whoops, did I say that out loud? Once again, wrong answer!

Amazing as it may seem, when we went to purchase the paint, there were two other women there that had experienced virtually the same thing with their spouses. Who would’ve thought?

My suggestion, to them, then, was to form a splinter group off of “The Ladies Without Baseboards Club” name it the “What Colour Do YOU Like Club?” and then they could all meet and share and choose colours with people of like interests.

Apparently, this isn’t the correct response either.

Yes, I know, you don’t really care if we care; you just want us to engage, you know, play along, at least make it seem like we care. But chances are we won’t.

So, go with the “Billy Goat” on the walls, with a border of “Always Mine” and the trim in “Boy Bait” (seriously, I’m not making these up!), if you want, but just tell me where you want me to start cutting in.

“Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get.”-George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950).

No comments:

A CHRISTMAS POEM-THE TRIP TO THE MALL!

Here's a reprise of a little Christmas poem I threw together for you. Three Kings, shepherds and a babe in the manger. The E...