Monday, January 7, 2013

IT'S OVVVERRR!


I guess it’s time to get back to normal, eh? Is it me or do these holidays go by faster and faster every year? I don’t think I’m the only one that seems to be affected by this phenomenon because I constantly hear, “I can’t believe it’s over already!”, everywhere I turn after Boxing Day.

 Actually, I was reading an article the other day that was explaining “time dilation” which explains why time actually slows down and speeds up due to differences in gravity and velocity and according to my sources, “In the theory of relativity, time dilation is an actual difference of elapsed time between two events as measured by observers either moving relative to each other or differently situated from gravitational masses.” Blah, blah, blah... and it goes on to explain how the astronauts in the International Space Station age slower than the ground staff, and everything, but all of this science stuff is just too much for me to digest after I have spent the last three weeks doing nothing but digesting stuff. Different digesting, I know, but digesting none the less. Regardless of the “spacetime continuum”, or whatever, the Christmas season is gone...fast, slow or otherwise...it’s just gone.

“Spacetime continuum” notwithstanding, I guess if you’re one of those Bah- Hum-Buggers, the Christmas season would have dragged on endlessly and maybe one more Christmas carol would have flung you completely over the edge but if you’re a Holly Holiday Christmas Lover then you probably think it went by faster than a speeding bullet. I guess I must be a Christmas Lover because, to me, it went by way too fast.

I think they’ve been debating the “commercialization” and the “true meaning” of Christmas for decades and decades and it will continue as long as the “Christmas Season”, or Happy Holidays, if you prefer, remain as they have for the last few hundred years. I think that it’s up to each individual to decide how “commercial” you want to make it and it’s also an individual’s right to determine his or her own interpretation of “the meaning of Christmas”, all the while keeping in mind that the whole concept is based on the birth of Jesus Christ.

So in an effort to not be too “commercial” at Christmastime I bought an inexpensive gift for our three-and-a-half year old grandson. It’s a gift that will keep on giving, too, and it might even tie into the “meaning of Christmas” and all. I gave him a Whoopie Cushion. Wait a minute, wait a minute, hear me out now. It’s very inexpensive so I am not “feeding the commercial machine” and it always puts a smile on someone’s face whenever it gets used so if the “meaning of Christmas” is to “spread good cheer” and “give unto others” then what could be better than to put a smile on someone’s face or give them something to laugh about. What? You’re not buying it? Alright then, maybe it is a stretch but I’ll tell you that it was one of the best presents he received this Christmas and it was probably the least expensive and we laughed and laughed at it throughout the holidays and I don’t care who you are you would probably smile when that thing goes off.

I hope you had lots of laughter, good cheer and felt the warmness of the season, too. If you allow it, it can truly be the most wonderful time of the year.

“Christmas is the day that holds all time together,”-Alexander Smith (1829-1867).

No comments:

A CHRISTMAS POEM-THE TRIP TO THE MALL!

Here's a reprise of a little Christmas poem I threw together for you. Three Kings, shepherds and a babe in the manger. The E...