Wednesday, March 27, 2013

OUR PUERTO VALLARTA VACATION


            I am not sure how to present this column to you. Here's the thing...we have just returned from our trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and we had so many amazing experiences that I might have to turn this space in the paper into a serial piece to fit all of the details in. I don't want to make anyone envious, mind you, but go ahead and feel that way if you must, because I always did when listening to other people's similar exploits but this was a brand new experience for a few of us on the trip and I just feel the need to share.

            We filled up a lot of our time with all of the touristy things to do, and, yes, of course, occasionally tequila was involved. We did a lot of sunbathing, city touring, constantly bartering with local "merchants" over souvenirs, golfing, a too-short-time snorkelling around the Marieta Islands, whale watching and the highlight of the trip, for me, was a parasail ride 110m, or so, above Banderas Bay providing a view overlooking the resort filled beaches and a pretty good look at the city from up there. My only complaint was that the ride was too short. Not bad for a guy who can't stand heights, eh?

            Another highlight would be the snorkelling at the Marieta Islands. Unfortunately some miscommunication with our tour guide ended up with a day-long sailboat whale watching ride with a tiny bit of snorkelling when we all thought we were going on a snorkelling/kayaking adventure with a bit of whale watching. We were a little more than surprised to hear that it was going to be the other way around as we gathered on the pier in the morning to board the sailboat.

            Sidebar here...if there was a low-light of the vacation, other than being sick on the way home, it was minutes before we were to go to the Marina and board the sailboat for the day's activities and our group of twelve was gathered in the lobby of the Melia resort at 7:30 in the morning and I thought it would be advisable to have one more bathroom break before we left for the Marina because one never knows where the next bathroom may be. As I was walking to the bathroom I was reading about the resort's destination wedding offers on the wall and the next thing you know I'm in one of the beautiful shallow pools they have all over the resort  on my hands and knees half-covered in water. Apparently it was very funny... for everyone else! I like to make people laugh but I usually prefer a different method to accomplish that task. Needless to say it was one of the more memorable moments of the trip that I'd like to forget.

                Anyway, the miscommunication turned out to be karmic as the whale watching was mind-blowing and even the crew said that it was an extraordinary display by the Humpbacks that day. I know they are paid to say that but you could read the amazement in their eyes, too.      

            At the risk of boring you I will not go on and on and on about the amazing week we all had in Mexico. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and our trip ended on March 1st. There was good news and bad news in that, too, though. What I thought had been a case of Tequilaitis, from my overindulgence on our last night there, turned out to be a little more than that. I’ve been sick since we left. I tell you that five-hour plane ride was a white-knuckler as I did my utmost to keep all of my bodily fluids inside my body. Sorry, enough of the details, suffice it to say that I am still not feeling well, three days on, but I am so happy it happened at the end of the trip and not the start.

            Despite the fact of how I came home feeling and because we returned to a nice March winter storm, as well, I would return to Puerto Vallarta in a heartbeat and the plans are already in the works for the next visit. I can hardly wait.

            “Take care of all your memories. For you cannot relive them,”-Bob Dylan (1941-).

No comments:

A CHRISTMAS POEM-THE TRIP TO THE MALL!

Here's a reprise of a little Christmas poem I threw together for you. Three Kings, shepherds and a babe in the manger. The E...