Tuesday, November 10, 2015

CANCER TOUCHES EVERYONE


           Before we get to the meat and potatoes of this week’s subject I’m going to let you in on a hot tip. Are you ready? This is for all you risk takers and bettors out there. So here it is…take a sport, any sport with two teams vying for a championship…phone me…ask me who I am betting on…go the opposite way…and…voila…cash in your hands. It won’t work every time but 9 out of 10 ain’t bad. (Writer’s disclaimer-Betting entails some degree of risk. Bettors should inform themselves of the risks involved in engaging in any legal or illegal wager before acting on the advice of said writer.)

            Now, if you had bet on the New York Mets to win the World Series then we’re both losers. Actually, I didn’t bet anything on the series because-1.) Gambling is one of the few vices I don’t have…yet…and 2.) I have never been able to convince my heart what my head knows. There you have it, so congratulations Kansas City Royals, (insert sarcasm here)-yay. It’s not that they weren’t deserving champions, or anything, that is one talented ball club they’ve got there, it’s just that I liked the Mets better, especially after Kansas City beat the Blue Jays in the American League Championship Series. Enough with the sour grapes now; let’s move on, shall we?

            As with any sports series these Major League Baseball Playoffs, including the World Series, had their share of great plays, misplays and some awful weird plays going on at different times. There were some very cool moments, too. 

            One of the coolest, most moving and somewhat sad moments occurred on October 30th during Game 3 of the World Series at Citi Field in New York City when players, fans and everyone else in the ballpark on that night joined together to Stand Up 2 Cancer (please visit-StandUp2Cancer.org). Every person at the ballpark that night was given a card so they could write a name of someone they know, or knew, who has had, is battling, or has beaten cancer. Seeing that sea of cards throughout the entire ball park of roughly 45,000 people was quite a moving moment.

            Sadly enough, though, as I was sitting there watching the spectacle, I was running through quite a list of people I knew and know who have or are still battling cancer. Picking one name for a card would have been very, very difficult because, unfortunately, there are just way too many to choose from. Actually, I’m doing an inventory again and I cannot believe how many people it is. I’d put some names to that too-large number but that always leads to somebody being left out.

            It is, however, appropriate and timely that the one name that I will use in this week’s editorial is Dale Blackstock. Dale succumbed to the miserable disease when he was barely thirty-years old. So sad. Dale was a good friend, workmate, teammate and one of the funniest people that I have had the great privilege of sharing company with. A fine example of “the good die young.”

This weekend the Kipling Arena will once again be the site for the 29th edition of the Dale Blackstock Memorial Recreational Hockey Tournament. In 1987, it was a small way for the Kipling Royals Senior Hockey Club’s executive to pay tribute to a guy who loved the game of hockey, loved the team and town he played for and loved the guys he played with. That little gesture has become one big event.

If I was a betting man, and a surer bet you’ll never find, I’d bet that there’ll be lots and lots of fun at the old Kipling Arena this weekend. You can put money on it.

No comments:

A CHRISTMAS POEM-THE TRIP TO THE MALL!

Here's a reprise of a little Christmas poem I threw together for you. Three Kings, shepherds and a babe in the manger. The E...