Sunday, November 1, 2015

THIS EL NINO BETTER BE GOOD!

I guess there are a few items on the agenda this week. I’m writing this on Election Day in Canada so I’m hoping that Canadians will do their part by participating in the democratic privilege of casting their ballot. I don’t care how you vote….well, actually I do…but in any case, as the Nike ad suggests…Just Do It!


Weather definitely won’t be a prohibitive factor for people getting to the polls for today’s election. At least in our area of the province it won’t be. Hasn’t that been something? The weather, that is. I didn’t even want to bring the weather subject up for fear that I’ll jinx our current lovely weather luck but I’m throwing caution to the wind, this time around, because it’s been a long time, if ever, that I can remember the vivid plant and flower life in our yard this late in the fall. Also, I do believe that golfing on the 18th of October in +19C weather in Kipling, Saskatchewan, Canada was a new experience for me.

My fingers are crossed that 2015’s El Nino, which is supposed to be “one of the strongest El Nino events on record”, according to The Weather Network, will deliver the prairies a milder winter from the most recent -50 degree variety of winter weather that we’ve been dealt over the last couple of winters.

Because of my lack o’ love for our nasty winter weather I take a lot of flak from “True Canadians” who actually love the cold winter months. Or so they claim. I, too, have enjoyed my share of fun times in the good old Great White North’s wintery conditions but you’ll have a hard time getting me to believe that you would rather throw on five or six layers of clothing to shovel your way out to your vehicle and try to start the car that won’t start because the block heater cord wasn’t plugged in all the way, then boosting the car, which is usually in the least accessible location for boosting, while getting frost bite as you try to find the windshield in the snowbank that is your car, then bruise your buttocks sitting down on the frozen seat and getting stuck two or three times in the snow and ice on the commute to work in zero visibility…as opposed to…what?... throwing on a pair of shorts, a tee shirt and your flip-flops and you’re on your way?! Hmmmmm? Which would you prefer? Thought so. Just saying.

Now, I’m getting ahead of myself. I shouldn’t be doing my whiny shtick about winter when they haven’t even handed out the World Series trophy, yet. It was nice, however, to see the baseball fans in New York City sitting at the ballpark in their parkas while we were sitting around here in our shirt sleeves. A complete reversal of roles for this time of the year, too, I’d say.

Speaking of the World Series, as of this writing the Blue Jays are still in the hunt and we’re down to the final four teams so, all in all, it’s been a great year for the Blue Jays and their fans. My Mom was one of the biggest Blue Jays boosters who ever lived and somewhere, somehow, I am convinced, she’ll be cheering them on from the Great Beyond.

So here’s to the Toronto Blue Jays and may they upset the proverbial American Apple-cart and bring another World Series banner to Canada. Here’s to the new El Nino and may he bring the mildest of winters and here’s to the longest, warmest Autumn on record because, quite frankly, I’m not done losing golf balls just yet.

“Voting is the expression of our commitment to ourselves, one another, this country and this world.” Sharon Salberg (1952-).

No comments:

A CHRISTMAS POEM-THE TRIP TO THE MALL!

Here's a reprise of a little Christmas poem I threw together for you. Three Kings, shepherds and a babe in the manger. The E...