Sunday, May 3, 2009

Random Thoughts-38
May 25th, 2008

Remember a couple of articles ago I kinda wished that a few weeks of ugly weather would ease my guilty conscience while watching hours of sports? I was kidding! I didn't think it would happen!
How was I to know it was going to be so cold and windy, (windy being a kind word for what we have endured), for 40 days and 40 nights.
It actually is 40 days, I wrote that article on the 14th of April and today's the 24th of May. Count 'em up.
Then, Old Mother Nature had to throw a couple of 20+ degree days in there just to whet our appetite; the miserable old.......
Anyway, that wasn't the first time I noticed some coincidences between my writing and actual events. So, if it's that easy, I'm wishing for a few million dollars. You know, just enough to afford to keep driving and eating and such.
That's the thing, isn't it? If one could conjure up some good luck just by saying it, what would you wish for? World peace? Why waste a good wish? It's just not going to happen.
A long and healthy life? Yeah, that's okay, too, but how long? Do you really want to outlive your kids and your friends? To me, there are too many variables in that equation.
Then that leaves wealth. Yeah, I know, the old greedy card. But wait. Think of how much good you could do with vast riches. Aside from the fancier cars and clothes, the travelling and maybe a good alarm clock burning ceremony, there are many, many causes that could benefit from one's generosity.
Judging by the amount of 1-800 phone calls I get at suppertime, (every day!), there is just no end to the charities that are in dire straights. All great causes and all, but seriously, one would have to be a millionaire to give a donation to every one.
Now, I don't know where the wish factory is, or who does their books, but I'm wishing my wishes aren't being used up on stupid stuff. I want it on the record that it wasn't an official wish that we would have ugly weather for a while. I was just saying that if it happened it wouldn't break my heart. That's all!
So, here's wishing for a beautiful summer, a plentiful harvest, a little more peace in the world and a lot more wishes for my remaining years.
“We would often be sorry if all our wishes were gratified.”-Aesop (620-560 BC).

No comments:

A CHRISTMAS POEM-THE TRIP TO THE MALL!

Here's a reprise of a little Christmas poem I threw together for you. Three Kings, shepherds and a babe in the manger. The E...