Sunday, May 3, 2009

Random Thoughts
June 30th, 2008

Pardon my absence from these pages, Dear Reader, but after I complete one of my rambling articles it is completely out of my control as to whether the words ever hit the paper.
Sometimes my well-honed procrastination skills are to be blamed. Sometimes not.
While attempting to stick to a bi-weekly schedule, with one missed deadline or one article hitting the cutting room floor, it is easy to be absent for weeks at a time. I know, excuses, excuses, excuses.
During Saskatchewan's seemingly nine-month-long winter conditions, it is a pleasure to sit at a keyboard and peck away as the cold wind howls outside the window. However, by trying to put as much outdoor time into our lightning-fast twelve weeks of summer, I find it more and more difficult to take the time to write.
What with the omnipresent yard/home improvement schedule, vacation time and baseball, barbecue and beer drinking season upon us, some hard choices have to be made. Well, okay, maybe "hard choices" is stretching it. But choices none the less.
"Making hay while the sun shines," is an adage that has been repeated time and again. And cooping oneself up inside while a golf-friendly, grass cutting, garage shingling sky is overhead is not "Making Hay." In my opinion, anyway.
I very much enjoy having the opportunity to present some of my thoughts to you, Dear Reader, and will continue to do so. I am also thankful for all of the positive comments that I have received regarding my Random Thoughts articles.
When I started submitting these columns to The Citizen, I promised myself that I would not put words onto paper simply for the sake of putting words onto paper. Although I am sure some of you may think that is exactly what it is. Que sera, sera. If I can not, or will not, (depending on the situation), take the time required to write something that I feel is worthwhile, then I won't.
So, what does all this babbling mean? Short story long, as usual, I will suspend my contributions to The Citizen for the summer. If they will allow me, and God-willing, I am still able, I will return to these pages in September.
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self,"- Cyril Connolly (1903-1974).

No comments:

A CHRISTMAS POEM-THE TRIP TO THE MALL!

Here's a reprise of a little Christmas poem I threw together for you. Three Kings, shepherds and a babe in the manger. The E...